Sunday, August 4, 2013

Village Presentations



We finished up our village presentations this week and delivered more school supplies and soccer balls. Across all the villages, the people were very interested in the results I shared and the suggestions I gave them for improving nitrogen availability in their fields. I was told by more than one village chairman (which is like a town mayor) that they would follow my suggestions and that I was very welcome to return to their village. Everyone really appreciated that I returned to share results with them. I was told many times that most researchers come into the villages, collect data, and then never return to show the results. The soccer balls also created quite a bit of excitement. Every time we brought the balls out you could almost feel the wave of excitement that swept through the gathering. In one village, Nyabinyonyi, they have just started a new primary school because the only other one for their children was too far away. They had nothing but a chalkboard, some chalk and a teacher so I purchased some things in Fort Portal to help get them started. They cheered for each item I brought, especially for the paper, and then sang and danced to show their gratitude. First the children, then they were pushed aside and the parents danced. I am still amazed at how happy just a few small things that we in America take for granted, like paper and pencils, can create such joy here. I wish I could supply all the schools I visited because they all have similar needs. Below is a picture of me with the local PTA and village leaders that started the school. The fellow with the big grin in the red shirt next to me is my friend Elius. He and village elders from several villages around Kibale National Park have started a program to address some of their children's needs. You can learn more here:




Here are some more shots of our presentations.



I guess the rains have officially started here. Last weekend we had a thunderstorm and rain through the night then another earthquake early the next morning. According to several local sources, the earthquake and rain together are a signal that the rains have come and that it is time to plant the next season's crops. This past week we have seen people frantically harvesting last seasons crops and getting their fields ready to plant as soon as possible. In fact, my driver Emma hired some extra help to get his fields turned around quickly and get his next maize crop planted. I'm sure the rain and earthquake together was just a coincidence but the people here really believe it has meaning. Judging by the complete inaccuracy of the local weather forecasts, particularly anything further than a couple days out, I guess the earthquake thing is probably just as reliable.




This week I am looking forward to meetings with local officials with the National Agricultural Advisory Service or National Agricultural Research Organization and with local primary school teachers and headmasters. I am hoping to get some information that will help with my education and outreach efforts going forward. I am also looking forward to going home now the the end of my time here is in sight. Next week, my blog will be from Kampala as we begin to make our way home! I can't wait to get home, take a nice long shower and then sleep in my own bed, comforted by the knowledge that I don't have to trek outside if I need to get up and go to the bathroom.

1 comment:

  1. If the facebook link doesn't work for you, try:

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/GOOD-HOPE-Childrens-Village/656010094414436

    Tony Casazza

    ReplyDelete