Sunday, July 7, 2013

Another good week

Our week was once again very productive. We visited three villages south of the field station, Iruhura, Nyabinyonyi, and Kyakabuzi and between all, 50 farms. In Iruhura I picked up another group of children to add to my growing fan club ( I think my popularity may have something to do with the candy I hand out).

 
We are about 2/3 of the way through the first part of my work. I still have to return to each village I visited in January and give a presentation with data from the soils I collected on that first trip. I also have to send some time with some of the local primary school teachers to find out what kind of things I can do or provide to help them educate their children about soils.

We experienced our first earthquake for this trip this past week, and it was actually a fairly strong one. There was only one that I felt when here in January, but it is not expected since we are so close to the Great Rift. We also had our first significant thunderstorm and rain on Thursday and into Friday. Fortunately, everything has gone so smoothly, we were finished with our field work early so we didn't get wet.

There haven't been as many monkeys around the house this time as there were in January. I guess the trees in our area don't have the same fruits and seeds they did In January to attract them. I did see this big guy out alone in front of the house though.

I guess I'll end this post with some pictures of some of the fields we visited, many of which went right up to the boundary of Kibale National Park.







No comments:

Post a Comment