Monday, January 7, 2013

First day of field work

I am finding internet net access to be extremely challenging here. There is only one spot at the Makerere University Biological Field Station where I am staying that I can get a good connection so I will probably not be posting updates as often as I originally planned.

Spent the day in a village called Kajumiro that is adjacent to the south end of Kibale National Park. The local leader gathered some of the farmers and we talked about what crops they plant, and where and when they plant them. When we finished the farmers danced for me and I handed out suckers to the children. I then visited several of the farms that I will sample soils from later. I was surprised to find the farms located on very steep hills. They all contained many different crops including rice, corn, cassava, banana, yams, millet, potatoes (Irish and sweet) and tomatoes to name a few. They all wanted their pictures taken on their farms and want me to bring back copies when I return to sample soils.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment